Friday, December 25, 2009

A healthy interest or a damaging compulsion?

As a child I had friends who liked to talk about airplanes, and compare notes, and swap books, or pictures, or models. We tried to impress each other with our vast knowledge of all things aeronautical. We were admittedly airplane geeks, shunned by the rest of the school population. There were only a very few of us, although there were other pretenders who were unworthy, because they simply did not have the depth of knowledge required. The way some kids memorize baseball statistics, we memorized performance figures for various aircraft. I got so I could sketch any airplane you could name from memory - a bar trick I used to advantage while in college to get a free beer from time to time. I didn't necessarily like my geeky friends in any other respect. Except for their knowledge of aviation lore they were not people I wanted to socialize with at a school dance or a football game. It was a childish compulsion which I left behind as I grew to maturity. Now as a retiree, I'm surrendering once again to my lifelong interest in all things aeronautical, as well as a passion for military history.

Inspired by a movie, I'm going to try to establish a blog dedicated to Delaware Military History. I have a lifelong interest in the topic, and I have been writing bits and pieces of military history, and collecting more. I'm not a formally trained historian, but I did serve as Executive Director for the Delaware Military Heritage and Education Foundation www.MilitaryHeritage.org for a number of years. I've contributed a chapter on military history to the "Histories of Newark" to mark the 250th anniversary of its founding, I wrote a history of the Delaware Air National Guard, http://www.arcadiapublishing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=9780738567075 and in April 2010 my history of the Delaware Army National Guard will be published by Arcadia Publishing.

I'm not really sure how blogging works. I hope I can attach images, documents, and create links to other sites, but I'm not sure if the setup allows for that. I've got lots of stuff I'd like to share and I'm hoping that this might be a place where others can also contribute to the general commonweal of military and aviation history, especially as regards Delaware, my home state. It won't be much fun without dialog or feedback so I hope you'll join the fun.

1 comment:

  1. When you write your history, do you look at the time that senior guard members spent overseas in the fight? It is really interesting how people that have never really been in a combat zone are allowed to be promoted and placed in charge. Puppets, not leaders, that is what Delaware is about.

    ReplyDelete